Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Building a Better Metro Transit System

This idea came from one of my Twitter friends, Kate Hamlin (@Aprl24KT) when I was saying that I needed something to write about. She threw out a range of topics so I picked the easiest one: how I would I make the public transportation system in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area better. (Note: easiest here is to be read as I’ve had a lot of cold medicine and was of the idea of “Sure! Why not!!)

This is a wide ranging topic regarding funding, accessibility, availability, property rights, and who knows what else I’m forgetting. If I’m going to do this right, it’s probably going to be a multi-post topic. Also, the engineer in me says that I need to fact check, do research, and cite other sources who know way more about this than I do, and in general make sure I know what I’m talking about. This initial post will probably be pretty light in that regard and mostly just get out my opinions and preconceived notions on what makes in my mind.

The first question that I think needs to be asked regarding public transit is “What is the goal that you are trying to achieve?” The obvious answer is move people from point A to point B in the most efficient manner possible. The devil is always in the details though. While thinking of the things that I want in a transit system the idea that needs to prevail is “What will benefit the most people and the least cost?” From that point of view, I’ll try and lay out my ideas for what I think will help make a better transit system.

First I think you need to tie the three central cities together: Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Bloomington with a method that moves a lot of people at a high rate. We've already achieved the infrastructure with light rail system. The first change I would make is to ensure that the trains have priority over automobile traffic. Making sure the trains move through intersections without needing to stop at red lights will, I believe, increase ridership and the efficiency of the trains.

The next thing to look at is the number of stops that the trains make. When the Green Line (Minneapolis Target Field to St. Paul Union Depot) was first running, there were some complaints that the trains were too slow going between the downtowns. This is a valid concern IF you look at the trains as express trains between the downtowns, which would be ideal for executives and suburbanites trying to cross from the west to the east. If you look at it as a way to move people who live on or near the line to other spots on or near the line that aren't necessarily downtown, then it takes on a different purpose.

This is the first spot where I’d really make a change from what we have now. I think during a rush hour that you need a couple of express trains that run between the downtowns and the airport. Three or four stops at one end, three or four at the other, and then just cruise through the middle without slowing down (again, traffic timing needs to be fixed to allow this). If I had my way (and it’s my blog so I do) I’d probably add a third rail that just runs the express trains. Maybe you don’t need it though if you can get the timing down.


This seems like a good place to break this post up at. My next post will focus on how I would change the routes with the suburbs, both bus and train. As always, feel free to add any thoughts you have to the comments. 

1 comment:

  1. It's like you're inside my brain, but with more detail, because I never even thought about the logistics. I completely agree with every single thing here.

    The connection of the three big cities makes so much sense considering how massive Bloomington is. I would add more suburban out shoots from there, like they're planning to do with the Bottineau line to Maple Grove. For example Bloomington-Eden Prairie-Chanhassen; Mpls-SLP-Hopkins-Wayzata etc.

    And the speed of the LRT system here has consistently been an issue for me. One of the things I love about the metro systems in Boston, NYC, and Paris is the speed in which you get from one point of the city to another. You're absolutely right that it's about changing the priority status from cars to trains. In order to encourage ridership, you need to offer an alternative that gets people looking at their cars as the secondary option.

    ReplyDelete